Why do we teach with iPads?
iPads help us to differentiate, to give instant feedback, to collaborate and to engage students:
- Differentiation: Specific apps help us to provide structured lesson content for students with different learning needs.
- Instant Feedback: Devices provide a way for students to receive instant feedback from their peers, their teacher and even from themselves.
- Collaboration: Moderated discussion gives ALL students time to process and respond to questions posed, it’s no longer a hands up race. Anywhere access to shared learning resources allows students to reach beyond the classroom.
- Engagement: iPads offer exciting new ways to interact and engage in learning that were previously not possible.
What is BYO iPad?
“Bring Your Own” iPad:
The iPad is a consistent platform for students and teachers that does not date quickly, iPads as old as 8 years ago (iPad Air 2 are still VERY functional).
The iPad's Airdrop feature is an excellent way for work to be shared and worked on collaboratively.
iPads are sturdy, easily placed aside, have a small footprint and start up immediately as needed.
What does Grand Avenue provide to support BYO iPad?
- Office 365 licence that you can use at school and home to access:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams and OneNote.
- access to 1000GB of OneDrive cloud storage, to save schoolwork.
- access to the Queensland State School’s eBook Library.
- access to the virtual classroom through our Seesaw Learning Platform.
- access to Mathletics & Reading Eggs.
- access to our Online Library resources (Concord Infiniti).
- robust Wi-Fi coverage across the entire school.
Minimum Device Specifications and Requirements:
- Full size iPad released 2014 and onwards, see release timeline below
- 32 GB or higher
- Wi-Fi model (if 3G or 4G compatible SIM cards must be removed)
- Sturdy case with keyboard/keypad
*Please ensure your iPad is updated to the latest IOS (Currently IOS 15.3 or above).
*Please note that iPad Minis are NOT suitable for use due to their small screen size.
If purchasing a new device
For parents who are purchasing a new device, we recommend an iPad 10.2-Inch 9th Generation with a capacity of 64GB. (64GB minimum, 256GB option is also available). We would also encourage parents to consider iPad insurance or AppleCare+ for BYO iPads. If an iPad has a 3G or 4G capability, it is a requirement that the SIM card is removed prior to the iPad being brought to school.
iPad release timeline:
Any full size iPad released form the iPad Air 2 (2014) and onwards is suitable for use at Grand Avenue State School.
Which iPad model do I have?
Click here for instructions on how to identify your iPad model.
- iPads are available from a variety of retailers.
- If purchasing directly from an Apple Store, let them know you are from Grand Avenue State School for their education pricing.
- Officeworks, JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman & others often offer 10% off on Apple, if you see 10% off it is a good time to purchase.
- Refurbished (online only) / renting iPads / is an option.
- Interest free options are also available from many retailers.
Software and applications
Each year our app lists are updated. It is an expectation that all students in the BYO iPad program have the required apps installed on their device for the start of the school year. These apps (paid and free apps) will be provided by the school to BYO iPad students (Years 4/5/6) via the Microsoft Intune platform. There is no need to pay for a Microsoft office subscription as this is provided to all Education Queensland students. This can be activated with your child’s email address and their school login/password. Details will be sent to all BYO families.
Student learning expectations and participant's agreement
The Student Learning Expectations are a student friendly version of the BYO Handbook (available at the bottom of this page). Reviewing the Learning Expectations together with your child is a great way to ensure that that they understand how to use their device correctly and safely at school. Students will also be led through this document at school and will complete their agreement digitally in class.
Online Services Consent Form (3rd party consent)
The Online Service Consent Form is a digital agreement that must be completed by all parents/carers to give permission for us to share student information with each of the third parties listed. We will always share as little information as we can, and may include student name, student ID, age, year group, class teacher and student email. This permission is used to create accounts for use with certain apps.
BYO iPad Documentation