What is the Defence School Mentor Program?
The Defence School Mentor (DSM) Program provides support, assistance and guidance to defence students and their families. It helps to raise the schools community awareness of the unique needs of defence families due to the impact of their military lifestyle. The DSM supports students who's parents are currently serving or who are ex-serving members of the Australian Defence Force, particularly during periods of transition into and out of schools due to postings or during times of parental absence due to deployments, exercises or courses. The DSM role is funded by the Department of Defence through the Defence Member and Family Support (DMFS - formally known as DCO).
The DSM provides support to defence students and families by:
- Assisting with transition between schools.
- Offering welcoming and farewelling activities.
- Monitoring the social, emotional, academic and general wellbeing of defence students.
- Assisting students to develop resilience and self-confidence.
- Providing support during times of parental absence, to the student and family who remain at home.
- Offering a Lunch Club for defence students to bring a friend and make connections, chat, get crafty, learn new skills and have fun in a small group environment.
- Helping families and students to develop strategies to successfully integrate into the school community.
- Providing opportunities for families to make connections with others who are experiencing the same lifestyle choices.
The DSM role also assists the school in the organisation of special events, such as the commemoration of ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day.
Who is the current DSM at Grand Avenue State School?
Jacqui D'Castro is the current DSM at Grand Avenue State School and can be contacted via telephone on 07) 3372 0555 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jacqui is a military spouse herself and has been so for the past 18 years. Re-location and having to re-establish yourself and your family is nothing new to Jacqui. With two primary school aged children herself, you can be guaranteed she is a wealth of knowledge in many areas of the defence lifestyle.
Days and hours or availability are:
Wednesday 9am – 2pm
Friday 9am – 1pm